Pest Control Licensing Requirements

Who must have a pest control license?

  • Anyone who applies pesticides for hire. Pesticides include insecticides, herbicides, rodenticides, fungicides and plant growth regulators
  • Anyone who works in the business of pest control by applying pesticides and using mechanical devices to exterminate, prevent, destroy, or repel pests.
  • Anyone who sells or advertises pest control services
  • Anyone who performs pest inspections for hire
Controlling pigeons and other vertebrate pests using mechanical devices does not require a license.
For information about the licensing process, click here: Getting Licensed

What is a Restricted-Use Pesticide Certification?

  • Restricted-Use Pesticides (RUPs) are pesticides that have the potential to cause unreasonable adverse effects to the environment and injury to applicators or bystanders without added restrictions.  
  • RUPs are not available for purchase or use by the general public, and require a certification to purchase or use. 
  • RUP Certificate holders are not licensed to perform for-hire pest control or solicit pest control services.

Who must have a Restricted-Use Pesticide Certification?

  • Anyone who purchases or uses restricted-use pesticides
  • Federal, state, or local government employees who use pesticides as part of their job duties
  • Anyone who conducts training of agricultural workers or handlers covered by the Worker Protection Standard
  • The Nevada Cannabis Control Board requires each cultivation facility to employ at least one certified applicator

Information about RUP certifications can be found on the Environmental Services section of our website