Certificates of Free Sale

What are Certificates of Free Sale?

Certificate of Free Sale are documents that indicate to recipients of an export product that the product(s) is marketed in the United States, eligible for export, and that the manufacturer does not have unresolved regulatory enforcement actions. Some foreign countries require such a document for entry of foreign products. 

To whom can the NDA issue a Certificate of Free Sale?

The NDA will issue Certificates of Free Sale for companies and products manufactured/processed in Nevada and regulated by NDA through state statutes or through its cooperative agreements with federal agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration or the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of USDA. The NDA mainly issues certificates that include human food processors and animal food (feed) processors in the state.

What information do I need to provide when requesting a Certificate of Free Sale?

The following information must be included on the application:  

  • Identification and contact information for the person making the request
  • Identification of the licensed, registered or permitted manufacturer of the product(s)
  • Information on where the certificate(s) should be sent once completed
  • The type of certificate requested and name of company the product is licensed through

How much do Certificates of Free Sale cost?

The current fee is $25 per certificate. The requestor is responsible for delivery cost through FedEx. The requestor should also provide a credit card number over the phone, to process the fees for the completed certificates to be sent out.

How long will it take before I receive the Certificate?

Certificates are processed on a first-in, first-out basis. The NDA staff will make every effort to process the certificates in a one to three day turn-around period, however the speed of completion will depend on:

  • Completeness and accuracy of the request
  • Whether the manufacturer/facility has been inspected in the past year and complies with state and federal regulations
  • Current staff workload

Good Manufacturing Practices?

If your company complies with the Good Manufacturing Practices inspection, and you can provide up-to-date verification, that section will be added to your desired certificate. 

Who do I contact regarding Certificates of Free Sale?

Any questions, comments or concerns can be directed to Dillon Davidson at (775) 386-5599 or 775-353-3627.

Requests for Certificates of Free Sale must be completed on the application below and e-mailed to ddavidson@agri.nv.gov