Noxious Weed Mapping Program
State Noxious Weeds Coordinator
The NDA continues to build this program to better serve all those involved in the fight against noxious weeds in Nevada. Maps and long-term noxious weed data records are necessary tools in order to make future informed decisions regarding the prevention and management strategies for noxious weeds across the state.
Long-term Program Objectives:
- Maintain and manage all noxious weed data for the state of Nevada in a working and shareable database
- Produce statewide noxious weed maps
- Monitor the increase and/or decrease in noxious weed infestations and spread of noxious weeds across the state
- Monitor the success and failures of noxious weed control efforts at a statewide level
- Provide rental GPS units and trainings for landowners, CWMAs and others to collect noxious weed data within the state
What can you do to assist the Noxious Weeds Program?
- Stay informed and involved; just by being a part of the noxious weeds community and providing us with information regarding new weed occurrences and helping with community events you can be a huge asset to the depatrment.
- Take advantage of all of our services and resources!
- We have GPS units for rent that you can take out onto the trail with you to mark waypoints of weed species observations!
- Come by the office or an event and pick up a Nevada Noxious Weed Field Guide to help you with your identification knowledge!
- Begin using EDDMapS to assist in furthering our contiguous mapping project across the state!
What is EDDMapS?
- EDDMapS is an online mapping database where anyone with a free account can contribute to invasive species data collection.
- A user can add their findings to this website and compile reports about specific species into a collective database for the public to see after verification
- You can simply add GPS points to the website via the report sightings tab on the EDDMapS website
- You can also utilize the FREE EDDMapS West smartphone app to easily add data remotely with the click of a button