Processing Craft Foods
Labeling craft foods
All craft foods packaging must be affixed with labeling that complies with the federal labeling requirements.
General label content is outlined below:
- Foods must be labeled with “MADE IN A CRAFT FOOD OPERATION THAT IS NOT SUBJECT TO GOVERNMENT FOOD SAFETY INSPECTION” printed prominently on the food item label.
- Download the food labeling guide for more information and examples.
A pH measurement is required for each batch of product that is processed. The pH meter must meet these specification:
- pH meters are required to have an accuracy of ±0.02 (±0.01 is preferred).
- At least a 2 point calibration is needed, check with pH 4.0 and 7.0 buffers.
For information on calibrating and preparing your food for testing, view our measuring pH guide.
Craft foods documentation
Supporting documentation must be maintained for a period of five years and needs to include the following information:
- Name of food produced
- Recipe of each food, including ingredients
- Process used in the preparation
- Canning date of each batch
- The results of the pH test for each batch
Click here to review an example documentation sheet.