Protocols and Thoughts on Insect Samples and Sampling
All samples submitted to the Department or from internal inspections or surveys will have a completed insect identification form attached to it.
Samples We Do Not Take
- bags of vacuum cleaner dust
- any samples of "things from my skin" must come through MD or Health Dept.
- clothing with "things" in it
Rules on Preservation
- Use 70% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) whenever possible.
- Never fill the vial more than 1/2 way with specimens or materials.
- Host (what the specimens were collected on or where they were collected) should always be filled in if known.
- Unless otherwise noted, always sort specimens from material and preserve before submitting.
- Remember that samples submitted on tape may get a limited identification.
- Unless otherwise noted, always collect a minimum of 10 specimens, the more the better.
Rules on Shipping
- See individual groups.
- All samples should have absorptive tissue wrapped around the vial, the slip is then wrapped around it, then enough material to pack the vial tightly in the mailing container.
Preservation/Collection/Shipping Requirement for Various Groups