Commercial Feed Licensing and Reporting


  • If you have questions regarding commercial feed licensing or reporting, please contact:
  • Phone: (775) 353-3755


    The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requires enhanced inspections and reporting to protect our nation's food supplies. For more information regarding FSMA, please visit their website at

      Currently, the Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDA) does not approve license applications for manufacturers, distributors, or guarantors who distribute, sell or offer for sale commercial feed products that contain industrial hemp. Industrial hemp is not an approved ingredient recognized by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO, an organization of state agriculture departments from all 50 states) or the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Veterinary Medicine. The NDA's decision not to approve these products complies with AFFCO's position on industrial hemp as well as the positions of other state agriculture departments.


      If a licensed commercial feed operation is found to distribute, sell or offer for sale commercial feed products that contain industrial hemp, the license will be revoked. In addition, products in Nevada marketplace containing unapproved ingredients are subject to withdrawal from distribution orders. 

        Online Commercial Feed System

        Click here to register and/or submit and pay for your quarterly tonnage reports.

          Commercial Feed Licensing

          In 2015, the Nevada legislature passed laws requiring commercial feed licensing and quarterly sales reporting. A manufacturer, distributor or guarantor who distributes, sells or offers for sale commercial feed in Nevada must obtain a license.

          A non-refundable annual license fee of $75 is required. A license expires on December 31 of each year. If a licensee submits a renewal application after December 31 of the year in which the license expires a late fee of $20 must be paid in addition to the $75 license fee.

            Quarterly Sales Reports (Tonnage)

            A licensee must report quarterly the total tonnage manufactured, distributed or guaranteed in Nevada and pay a tonnage tax of 15 cents per ton or $5, whichever is greater.

            Per NRS 587.877, quarterly sales reports must be submitted within 15 days after the end of a quarter (Quarters - March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31).  A tonnage report must be submitted regardless of whether the licensee manufactured, distributed or guaranteed any commercial feeds during the reporting period. If you know you will not exceed 33 tons per quarter you may pre-pay for the year $20 for all four quarters. All licensees are subject to audit.

              State Laws and Regulations